Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Well played...



Here is my "Reverse Bucket List"


I know I know- but, sometimes I too can fall victim to the “It’s already been played out.” Everyone (and their mother) has done one, and in truth reading them, I kept thinking that really they were written just for the purpose of petting your own ego. Yep, and that is why I am writing mine today. Bruised and battered lately by some fierce critics I feel like I need a pick me up. So in a sort of “love letter to myself” here is my reverse bucket list. Sorry if it’s played and egotistical but reminding myself like Stuart Smalley that, “I deserve good things; I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am an attractive person. I am fun to be with. And darn it people like me…” is a necessity today. So here we go...


#1. I have a beautiful family! Three perfectly awesome kids who make my life a living dream. (I consider this one my greatest accomplishments)

#2. I have a pretty happy marriage. My husband of 13 years is my rock, and my support.I am actually totally in love with this man!

#3. I have traveled the world. France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Bahamas’s, Brussels, and Switzerland (and am not even close to finished.)

#4. I have traveled the US. New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, California (and am not even close to finished.)

#5.I have lived in 4 states in the US.

#6. I graduated high school in the top 10 in my class with a full ride to Rockhurst College. (where I screwed up my first year and am not one bit ashamed since its part of what made me who I am today.)

#7. I graduated from UNCW with honors and a 3.6 GPA. I possess a BA in English, AA, and a AGE.

#8. I was published in my college’s anthology. A poem called “Juice” (on the first page no less.)

#9. I wrote three front page articles in my college newspaper. The Seahawk.

#10. I wrote music reviews and the horoscopes for a magazine called JUICE in college. It was a “Surf, Sound, and Skate” mag. I was NOT cool enough to have worked there.. ha ha

#11. I met Anthony Hopkins, Mary Stewart Masterson, Nicolas Cage, Laura Flynn Boyle, and Mathew Broderick while at college in Wilmington. They were there for films they’ve made.

#12.  I performed in Listen to Your Mother 2013 and am now co-directing the 2014 season.

#13. I was an extra in the made for TV movie, “In a child’s name” starring Valerie Bertinelli.. ( ha ha ha)  

#14. I served in the Board of Directors at Academie Lafayette for two years.

#15. I speak some, read a lot, and comprehend well the French language.

#16. I have a “successful” blog. (I love it- anyway)

#17. I performed live on stage (the second stage) in Austin at the Lollapalooza in 1995, with the Austin Slam Poets.

#18. I performed live on stage at COUNTLESS live open mic nights.

#19. I have friends that I actively engage with in over 6 countries. A citizen of the world.

#20. I have been on TV several times and not one of them was for a crime.. ha ha ha.

#21. I have never been convicted of a crime. 

#22. I was in a play (with actual speaking lines.) 

#23. I have auditioned for three musicals. I did not make one of them but at least I tried damn it!

#24. I have sold over 113 pieces of artwork and often will come across people who have a piece of my artwork in their home and did not even know it was mine! 

#25. Have actually finished ALL the laundry on exactly three occasions in my life.

#26. Bought my own home with my own money when I was a single woman.

#27. Learned to surf.

#28. Snorkeled with sea lions in the Sea of Cortez.

#29. Am the main character in a book an ex-boyfriend wrote. I am listed as "Lady Lambeth." She is a French courtesan. It was published.. I do not have a copy but I have read it and it's AWFUL! ha ha...

#30. I am a master at card tricks. Ask me next time we are at a party together.

So, I think that is about all. Sorry for the bragging but I needed some self lifting today. At times it’s the little things in life right? Like reminding myself that never having been in jail is actually a pretty important accomplishment at 42. Now I just need to make sure to keep my kids out and my husband too. I’ve lived a good life so far, it’s not over- not by a long shot and in the next years there are even more things I will accomplish in this life. Write a book, go on an overseas mission, and much more travel are all things in store for me. While I don’t think I’ll skydive anytime soon I can see a zip line in my future or maybe a short cliff dive. I’ll be sure to post pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment